Sunday, April 17, 2011

Singing, Obama, and the Evil Piglet

I was asked to sing for an event that mostly consisted of elderly people. There were two other women I would be singing with. Repertoire was Hindi songs - whatever all three of us knew that they had a karaoke CD for.

We did one set of songs but then we were told that they wanted to hear less dance songs and more "background music." The problem was that as far as non-dance songs went, the three of us all knew different songs. So we decided we'd just fake it -- one person would sing and the other two would lip-sync.

Cut to me riding in a car on the way back from the venue. Someone else is driving, who decides to get out and take care of something near a barn. I stayed in the car with the doors locked. A cute piglet, all pink and fuzzy, came up to the window. I smiled and waved. The piglet was the size of a grown pig, but I didn't realize this until he became more persistent at getting my attention. At this point something seemed very wrong about this piglet. He stood up on his hind legs and started trying to open the door. I was happy it was locked -- until he ripped the door off its hinges, grabbed me, and carried me off. I started yelling for help, and people looked but would not help. The piglet got bored with it though and just dropped me and went about doing piglet-like things. I ran off as fast as I could, realizing I'd left my things back at the venue anyway.

I went back to the place we performed and started packing up my makeup, clothes, and music, but the piglet showed up there and I had to run off again without gathering all my things. I ran into a lecture hall, where Obama was giving a lecture. I sat in the back of the classroom, thinking that the piglet couldn't possibly have followed me here, and even if he did, the Secret Service would take care of him.

During Obama's lecture, a junior high age girl entered the room with a large box. She walked up to Obama and said, "I have a gift for you, President Obama. It's chocolates. Would you like some?" He looked at her like she was crazy and said, "Ummm..... NO?" The little girl looked so hurt! She said, "But... they're Godiva!" and opened the box to show him. He said in a very annoyed voice, "Isn't the Secret Service supposed to take care of things like this?" The little girl gave the class the chocolates instead, instructing us to take one piece and pass it down. I never got a chocolate, though. The class ended, and all the students left, as did Obama with the Secret Service. Of course, at this point the piglet peeks his head into the classroom and I run off again out the doors at the top of the lecture hall.

I wonder what would have happened next.

No comments:

Post a Comment