Saturday, June 2, 2012

A heavy warm stay in Tri-Cities

From Sept. 10, 2011

I moved to Tri-Cities and stayed with the family of a friend there. The house was almost like an apartment building and had a garage apartment, but I slept in the actual house, not the garage apartment. I did not know how long I would stay there. 

I lived everyday life there with the family. It was a life I loved; I felt like I was living in a dream where everything was full of orange and brown, flecks of yellow, nostalgia from a childhood I experienced and from one my friend experienced all wrapped up into a shared nostalgia that we were still lucky to live in.

We then went bike riding in Moscow, because of course in this dream Moscow was part of Tri-Cities. However, as we were nearing the edge of the U of I campus, we heard there was a tornado warning and decided to head back. We did not see any tornadoes though; only rain in the distance. My friend's bike broke down and I had to fix it, which I did with little difficulty, and we made it back before the rain.

When we returned, I wanted to make tea, but in my own kitchen there were no pots and pans. I took some from the main kitchen and began to make tea. My friend's sister and mom came in and wanted to talk about how long I would stay, because the neighbors had seen a card with my name on it and had complained; they said that citizens were not welcome in this neighborhood, only immigrants. I told them that was ridiculous and illegal, but I was ready to move back to Pullman because I missed Anirban. I called him and he was happy to hear that I was coming back. So I got ready to move back to Pullman, bringing the orange and brown memories of nostalgia back with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment