Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A late night out

I found out that a band that I'd liked from college would be playing in this town that I lived in... although I have never lived in a town like that. It was on a river, and it was a busy place. It was sort of like Denton, but nothing like it.

But the band was also St. Lucia. I got to the venue, which was a fast food restaurant with an attached auditorium, with my own keyboard in hand. The audience wasn't big - maybe 50 people. I played along and harmonized on all the songs, and the singer thought that was pretty cool.

Unfortunately, there was a storm coming and the river had flooded; there was a bridge near the restaurant that was completely covered in water. Everyone that was left (many had left early) quickly headed away from the river up the road, and we were afraid the water would cover us but it did not. We ended up at a hotel on a high floor; there were about seven fans and the band there. They asked us if we wanted to go to a bar and just chill out, and everyone else in the group agreed. I hesitated, as I didn't really want to go to a bar, but I decided I wouldn't have another chance like this again so I went along as well. We all had a great time talking about music and vintage Bollywood movies.

It would be a very long drive home for me, so I took a couch from the bar (because that's completely normal) and went to find a random apartment to sleep in. (I don't know how I got there or what happened to my keyboard.) I had just the couch and a bag with me. I found an unlocked apartment in a campus complex, opened the door, and knew it was two female roommates living there. I brought the couch in, hauled it up some stairs to a sort of open landing/loft area, then watched a little bit of a Shah Rukh Khan movie that we'd talked about in the bar... but I was very tired and fell asleep.

In the morning, I woke up and was trying to figure out how I'd get the couch back out, when the girls who lived in the apartment woke up and I could hear them have this conversation:
"So your friend stayed over last night."
"She's not my friend. I thought she was your friend."

I realized I needed to leave right away before they saw me, grabbed my bag, left the couch, and ran as fast as I could to my Prius, heart pounding.

It was at this point I woke up and realized it wasn't real ... I was awake for about an hour or so and wrote all that down on my phone.

Then I drifted back off to sleep and had another dream where I went back and confessed to them that it was me who had gone to their house and slept on the couch. I hoped that if I could make friends with them they'd forget all about it, but I wasn't sure if they would or not by the time I woke up again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment